Why I'm giving away my 22nd birthday to Charity Water
A little bit of context
A few years ago, I stumbled upon an individual (and organization) that had a profound impact on me.
Scott Harrison was a club promoter in New York City, and realizing that his wealthy life was going nowhere, he decided to use his skills to help people. There is a much longer story to it, but for the purpose of this post I will not develop it here.
In exactly one month, on February 9th, I will turn 22nd. And this year, I want to give it all away to those who need it the most.
I think it's about time I act towards real change, and I want to set myself a challenge.
Working in Digital Marketing, I get to witness the miracles of social media, and I strongly believe that the ultimate sharing experience is to selflessly give and help without expecting anything in return.
I have an extended network, and although I don't expect everyone to respond to my little call to arms, I am aiming high.
The ultimate goal for this challenge is to raise enough to fund an entire project. In terms of numbers, we're talking about $5000 (or about £3100 / 3800€.)
This is a huge amount of money, but if we break it down, it's 'easier' to achieve than one would think:
- If you put things in perspective, a few years ago, when one of my friend had his birthday coming up, we would spend around 20€ for a CD or a DVD. Then, we decided to put the same amount of money all together, among a group of friends, and this allowed us to get presents of higher value (an iPod or a digital camera weren't rare if you could get 10-15 people to chip in.)
The point is that if there are enough people, little by little it doesn't sound that big anymore!
Over the next few days and weeks, I have planned for quite a lot of things to raise awareness over this campaign, so stay tuned!
In the meantime, it would mean a lot to me, personally, if you could share this post with your friends and family!
Thanks in advance for reading this post and another 'Thank You' if you are considering helping out!
How can I help?
- First of all, thanks a lot!
All you need to do is head over to my Charity Water Campaign Page and follow the instructions.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COSTS?
- It all depends on you: you can start at $1, and there is virtually no limit. To give you an example, most people gift each other a CD or DVD for a birthday, which costs around $10-$20...
Where does the money go?
- 100% of the money is used towards the project. As an organization, Charity Water received funding from different foundations, angels investors, and more. Therefore every cent of the money received through charity campaigns is used on the projects themselves.
For more information, you can head over here
How do I know what's going on? I need proof.
- The team at Charity Water realized that the lack of transparency in charities is often the first reason why people are not willing to give. One of the most important part of Charity Water is to be transparent and use metrics and data to demonstrate the progresses made.
- Through the use of modern day-to-day technology, Charity Water can show concrete and tangible results. They offer in-depth reports, as well as use Google Maps and GPS Technology to show you exactly where your project are launched, and what's the advancements. They also provide ways to understand what each dollar you've spent is used on.
You can learn more about it here
How will we know if the goal is reached?
- I've already set up a campaign on the Charity Water website. You can access it here
- I will also send email and updates on social networks for all donors. I believe I make enough digital noise for you not to miss it! :)
How long will the campaign run for?
- Although the campaign is for my birthday, Charity Water automatically assigned it a duration of 90 days. So until the goal is reached, I'm planning on running this campaign as intensely as humanly possible.
What happens if we don't reach the goal?
- However much money we end up having raised will still be used towards improving the lives of those in need. It may not mean that much for us, but it can quite literally change their lives.
For any other questions, please reach out to me through my email : contact @ itibz . com